Wednesday, October 13, 2010

October 13: Griffin's Parent Teacher Conference

What Griffin knows (or doesn't) as of 9/29/10


I can't say I was surprised by the gaps in Griffin's knowledge, but I guess I was a bit surprised that he hasn't filled them in already in the first couple of months at school.

So, he doesn't know what a square is.  Can't recognize the number 8 (among others) and has a handful of letters he doesn't know the sounds for.

We were sent home with lists of things to practice/memorize/teach.  I am a little resentful, I'll be honest.  We spent $550 a month all last year for him to go to a Montessori preschool and he should have learned this basic stuff there.  I know if he had been in the city run Tiny Tots program (that both Zoey and Aidan attended) he would know this stuff, but we couldn't send him there because of my work schedule.

The learning process that was joyful and exciting with Zoey is now tired, old and exhausting with Griffin.  I work 30 hours a week and need time for my blog, making it even harder to find time to work with Griffin on these things.  I have enlisted the help of everyone (Bill, Liane, Zoey, Aidan) in teaching him these things but I still have to be the project manager.

Maybe there is an Xbox game that can teach him these things for me...

Oh yeah - Griffin also has some social control issues.  Can't keep his hands to himself, thinks carpet time is good for a slap fight or wrestling match.  As the oldest, tallest kid in the class, Mr Swanson would like to see him in a leadership role.  Hm.  Not sure if he is up to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment